Wednesday, May 23, 2007

7 May 1937

My big brother celebrated his 70th birthday on the 7th of May and again several days later. Or, if I know him, maybe he is still celebrating. He lives far away, and we don’t get to see much of him. However he was on our hearts and minds as the rest of the family got together for a little cook out the other day.

It got me to thinking after everyone had gone home for the evening. MY BIG BROTHER IS GETTING OLD. Ergo I AM GETTING OLD! How the hell can that be? Just the other day we were digging an outhouse hole together. Old people can’t do that kind of work. We were racing through the woods behind the homeplace and down the dirt bank to the old railroad track and past the frog pond to the new pond. Or to the cave. You can’t do that when you are old; and it was just the other day. We crawled out the bedroom window and hightailed it through the woods to Charlie Waters’ house to watch TV. The Hit Parade my favorite show. And just the other night on the way back from the Waters house he gave me my first cigarette, a Chesterfield, no filter. I remember taking my first big drag and shortly a big ol’ oak tree jumped up in front of me and knocked me flat on my back. He walked me around in the woods for quite a while before he brought me home. I sleep well that night.

You know, when I really think on it my big brother is not getting old. He is getting younger every day! Me too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sure wish all you guys could have been here. Mandy and Mike drove out from Colorado and were able to stay about four days. They brought me a couple of Colorado wines along with select cheeses and crackers that I still have not opened. Then on Saturday, Kelly and Brian gave me a bottle of JW Blue Label. I’ll think of you while I have a sip. Of course we are not getting old! I still do a little four–mile walk weekday mornings. It normally takes me about 60–62 minutes. Man you brought back memories. Digging that outhouse hole, wow. You dropped that bucket of dirt on my head and I’ve wanted to play “Dueling Banjos” ever since.