Monday, February 26, 2007

I’m getting soft!

Well it has been some time since I have had a chance to update this thing. I have been very busy with the remodeling. I am working on the last of the inside work for this year. We will let the upstairs bath wait until next winter. So in about three more weeks I will be spending much more time outside. Not a lot to do around the house but there are a few projects out there. There is also a golf course just down the road that needs a lot of my attention.

Last night as I was getting ready to kick back from another day of hard work I glanced out the window and saw “our deer” in the side yard. We enjoy watching them. So we put a small amount of corn out for them and we almost always have deer coming up just before dark to graze and eat “their corn”. We have several groups that come by to eat. One of them has seven deer and last night I noticed that there were six in the yard. I walked to the back door and sure enough back in the woods was the seventh. As I watched, it came up very slowly. It reminded me of myself and my little sister after a long car ride. You know, stiff, can’t straighten up, and walk tilted to one side and limp badly.

When she finally came into the yard you could see she was dragging one hind leg and was obviously in pain. She turned slowly to the side and high on her right hip was a spot where the hide had been ripped away. Both her hind legs appeared to have open wounds. She had a real hard time moving. I guess I am getting old and soft because it almost broke my heart that I couldn’t go out and help her. She only stayed a short time and eased back into the woods. It was like she was very afraid she would be caught out in the open and that would be disastrous. I was really feeling down so I keep a watch every few minutes to see if she came back.

She didn’t, but about 7:30p.m. a big black cat, which hangs around the neighborhood, came walking across the side yard. I then noticed two deer come out of the woods and what followed was amazing. The deer began to play with the cat. It was like watching two young pups that wanted to be chased. They would come up close to the cat then jump back. The look on their face was one of delight. They keep at it for a good 15 minutes before the cat finally took to our front porch. The deer came up near the porch and dropped down on their front hoofs then jumped in the air and danced around. Finally they wondered on over to the neighbors to graze. Amazing!

Then tonight the seven were back. Yep, just like last night, there were only six but a quick check out back showed the seventh coming along at a slow pace. She came into the yard and appeared to be moving better. She’s still banged up pretty bad but she is still with us.

I really hope she makes it.

2 comments:

Grandpa Harris said...

Yep, you're getting soft. I know a time when you'd have 4 of them hanging by their feet right now.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.