Tuesday, January 2, 2007

I Wonder How They Know

How do they know? When we moved in to our new home, the end of December 2005, one of the pleasures was to look out the window, at almost any time of the day, and see deer. They just sauntered through the yard as if they own the place. They also seem to like our nicer plants. But that was alright with me. I enjoy watching them better then I enjoy the plants. Then just before Thanksgiving they disappeared. I would still see a track now and then but I never saw them. They slipped through the yard in the still of the night. I then discovered that deer hunting season open around Thanksgiving week and ran through 31 December.

Amazingly, this afternoon, 2 Jan 2007, two days after the end of the hunting season, at 4:45 p.m., five deer walk out of the woods behind our house and proceed to have a feast on the new $500 yellowtail grass I planted in the fall.

That’s okay with me. The deer are back.

5 comments:

Rise said...

I think the head deer keeps their calendar.

Actually, I'm jealous. We are more out in the country than you are, and I hardly ever see any deer.

Anonymous said...

Re your photo yesterday. I remember when dad took that picture. It was right after dad brought you home from the emergency room after I hit you in the head with the axe. Of course Rita and Bennie were not yet born so they knew nothin of it.
Bill

Seth said...

Actually it was a metal bucket full of dirt, but what the heck, I was hungry and wanted to go to lunch. Bill wanted to finish the hole. So....bang. The rock incident was later. So I got even yet again.

Quentin said...

i bought a 12 gauge the other day, a mossberg 500. let's go out and take care of your deer problem.

Anonymous said...

Tell 'em about your snipe hunt.:-)